Our annual list of typhoons, updated as each typhoon enters the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR), was way back in 2014. The last entry was Typhoon Ompong. It’s uncanny that the names for 2018 typhoons are exactly the same as in 2014, with Typhoon Ompong currently being tracked by PAGASA as of this writing (average of 20 storms visit the Philippines each year). It’s time to track these 2018 typhoons (see also the typhoon lists for 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009 lists).
[For an explanation on the various Storm Warning Signals, see Vacation Tips: Typhoons in the Philippines; see also New Rules on Suspension of Classes and Government Work.]
(International Code: Mangkhut). In its 3rd Tropical Cyclone Advisory on 12 September 2018 (11:00 a.m., Wednesday), PAGASA stated that Typhoon “Mangkhut” has further intensified and it will enter the PAR in the afternoon of that day. The eye of Typhoon “Mangkhut” was estimated at 1,190 km East Northeast of Guiuan, Eastern Samar, with maximum sustained wind of 205 km/h near the center and gustiness of up to 255 km/h. Ompong May traverse the Cagayan-Batanes area, but no Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal as of 7:00 pm. PAGASA also clarified that it did not issue any advisory regarding “Super Typhoon NENENG” circulating on social media and SMS.
Update (5:00 pm, 14 September 2018): Typhoon Ompong is expected to make landfall in Cagayan-Isabel area in the morning of 15 September. Warning upgraded to Signal No. 4, Cagayan and Isabela, with expected winds of greater than 171 kph up to 220kph. The rest of the storm warning signals and coverage are the same in the previous update (below).
Update (as of 2:00 pm, 14 September): PAGASA announced that Typhoon Ompong is accelerating slightly as it continues to threaten the Isabela-Cagayan area, and, in 24 hours, Saturday, Typhoon Ompong will be in the vicinity of Pasuquin, Ilocos Norte (after making landfall in Cagayan).
Only areas in Luzon are covered by Signal No. 3, as follows:
* Cagayan incl. Babuyan group of Is.
* Ilocos Norte
* Ilocos Sur
* Mountain Province
* Nueva Vizcaya
* Northern Aurora
Only Luzon areas are also covered by Signal No. 2:
* La Union
* Nueva Ecija
* Southern Aurora
* Northern Zambales
One province in Visayas (Northern Samar) is covered by Signal No. 1, together with the following Luzon areas:
* Southern Zambales
* Metro Manila
* Quezon incl. Polillo Is.
* Northern Occidental Mindoro incl. Lubang Is.
* Northern Oriental Mindoro
* Camarines Norte
* Camarines Sur
* Burias and Ticao Islands
Update (as of 5:00 am, 13 September 2018): PAGASA advised that Typhoon Ompong has slightly accelerated while maintaining its strength (maximum sustained winds of 205 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 255 kph), and expected to make landfall in the northern tip of Norther Luzon. Tropical Cycle Warning Signal No. 1 has been issued over areas in Luzon (Cagayan, Isabela, Kalinga, Mountain Province, Ifugao, Nueva Vizcaya, Quirino, Aurora, Quezon including Polillo Island, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Albay, Sorsogon, Catanduanes, Burias and Ticao Islands) and Visayas (Northern Samar). While the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) has reminded everyone to be responsible in social media, not to cause undue panic, it has stated that its preparation is in the level of Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan).
14. NENENG (International Code: Barijat). As of 11:00 a.m. of 12 September 2018, PAGASA estimated the center of Tropical Storm “Barijat” at 705 km West of extreme Northern Luzon, outside the PAR, with gustiness of up to 105 km/h. While Tropical Storm “Barijat” has maintained its strength as it moves Westward, it has no direct effect on any part of the country.
13. MARIO (International Code:)
12.LUIS (International Code:)
11. KARDING (International Code:)
10. JOSE (International Code:)
9. INDAY (International Code:)
8. HENRY (International Code:)
7. GLENDA (International Code:)
6. FLORITA (International Code:)
5. ESTER (International Code:)
4. DOMENG (International Code:)
3. CALOY (International Code:)
2. BASYANG (International Code:)
1. AGATON (International Code:)